Friday, May 29, 2009

Fiddlehead Pasta!


I'm not much of a pasta-eater for someone of Italian descent, but I couldn't think of a more delicious way to try my first fiddleheads than with butterfly pasta. My friend K.K suggested that I cook them with lemon butter, and the notion of eating these in a light, clear sauce stuck with me. I adapted this recipe from one I found online, adding a couple of things I enjoy.

The first step was to blanch the rinsed fiddleheads in boiling salted water for 2 or 3 minutes. Then I
rinsed them in cold water and added my butterfly pasta to the already boiling pot.
When the pasta is 2 or 3 minutes away from being al dente, saute 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, sliced, in 3 tbsp butter or margerine, until just brown.
At this point, I added some dry chilis because I love a little kick to my pasta, especially if it's a light dish.
Drain the pasta and rinse in cold water. Then add the juice of 1/2 a juicy lemon to the margerine and garlic and allow to thicken (it will likely take only a few seconds)
Add the fiddlehead
s and toss, then add the pasta and toss. Keep on the heat, tossing, until the pasta is coated and most of the liquid is absorbed.
At this point you can season with salt, pepper, or cheese if you like.
Deeeelish.

No comments: